Thursday, March 06, 2014

Love is All I Can Hear - Music Go Music

Song: Love is All I Can Hear
Artist: Music Go Music
Album: Impressions




It's been over four years since the release of Music Go Music's excellent debut album Expressions, which I initially heard towards the end of 2009.  By the end of that year, I was ready to claim it one of the years best, and then Fred Falke did a remix the following year and I was a full blown fan.  And then that was it.

Early last year I hit another binge on Expressions, had the ABBA-dipped, 70s-soaked, "Explorers of the Heart" on repeat, and wondered to myself... where is this band?  Nothing new was on the internet and I worried that they would end up an overlooked, indie-rock footnote.  I happened to be listening to my Fred Falke Playlist early this week and his epic take on the bands already epic "Warm in the Shadows," and I once again paused to lament on no new Music Go Music music... until Wikipedia quietly, and surprisingly, hit me with new info... the band had released a new track last September, and their sophomore album Impressions would be out sometime this year.  Yaaaaasssss!

But I also learned some info about the band that has escaped me their entire debut as well as the years since... that two of the three main members of Music Go Music are actually husband and wife team David and Meredith Metcalf playing in M.G.M. under aliases, and who have another band Bodies of Water who released their third album Twist Again in 2011.  Oh.

But... but... new Music Go Music music?  So yes, the band apparently released a track called "Love is All I Can Hear" in September and then another last December called "People All Over the World."  And like a surprise visit from a dear old friend, the songs dive right back into the semi-cheesy, sun-soaked 70s disco-rock vibe of their early work.  "Love is All I Can Hear" adds some surprising electro-synths, while "People" has a let's-join-hands-and-sway-to-this-organ ELO-ish moment.  I wasn't sure if this held up to their earlier material but I am now floored.  Excellent.

I took a listen to Bodies of Water's two albums on Spotify yesterday and while I hear the essence of M.G.M., they have a more Arcade Fire, quiet, standard indie vibe.  I'm still listening, but I'm just such a sucker for M.G.M.'s goofy hooks and kitsch-embracement.  Very very excited to hear Impressions, which currently doesn't seem to have a release date.



Enjoy!

Love is All I Can Hear
People All Over the World

No comments: