Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Celebrate

Song: Celebrate
Artist: Mika
Album: The Origin of Love




After bursting onto the scene with his debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion," in 2007, British singer-songwriter Mika had a bit of a sophomore slump with '09's "The Boy Who Knew Too Much."  He's gearing up to release his third album, "The Origin of Love" in September.  It's said to be "less child-like, and more serious," "a mix of Daft Punk and Fleetwood Mac," (!!!) and more simplistic and less layered than his previous efforts.  There are also a couple tracks in French, including "Elle me dit," which served as the first single in French-speaking countries.

Everywhere else the first single is the Pharrell Williams featuring "Celebrate," a track that came out in June.  It's been a slow-grower for me but I do like it.  Mika's been much more attention-grabbing in his singles in the past so it seems like a bit of a non-event.  But again, it's a grower.  The track is produced by non-other than hot-as-anything Nick Littlemore of PNAU and Empire of the Sun fame.  It's got a lush, electro-pop feel that's quite nice.

I recently got to hear the title-track from the album which was also... okay.  I loved his debut quite a lot but recent output has just been so-so to me.  I'll reserve judgement until I hear the whole album.  He's got an insane amount of collaborators on this album, so he is shooting for the gold.

Enjoy.

Celebrate
Make You Happy
Elle me dit

No comments: