Thursday, January 02, 2014

Best of 2013 - Night Time, My Time

Best of 2013

Song: Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)
Artist: Sky Ferreira
Album: Night Time, My Time




2013 finally saw the release of Sky Ferreira's debut album, one which changed names several times, release dates, and entire direction.  It was destined to be a mess, so when Night Time, My Time was finally released this October... it was a bit of a surprise how good it was.

WeCast has been following Sky for quite some time, from her early electro-pop singles from early 2011, to the introduction of more rock elements on her EP from 2012.  But it was when Sky hooked up with Producer Ariel Rechtshaid that things began to gel and the album took shape.

Night Time, My Time is an electric mix of Blondie-esque new wave rock with kicky beats, buzzy extortion, and above all Sky's half-pissed-off, half confessional lyrics and raw delivery.  It really packs a punch, and grows over repeated listens.  Song like "Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)" and "I Blame Myself" show true songwriting skill, while punchy tracks "24 Hours" and the amazing "You're Not the One" show she still knows her way around a hook.

It's unclear if Sky will have a record label after this, though it seems like something indie would suit her better anyhow.  Regardless if we never hear another thing from her, we'll have Night Time, My Time.

Enjoy.



Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)
24 Hours
I Will

No comments: