Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hard Out There

Song: Hard Out There
Artist: Lily Allen
Album: Hard Out There




Pop-provocateur Lily Allen returns with her first single since 2009.

After sneaking back with a(nother) Keane cover earlier this month on a Christmas advert for John Lewis, (see below) Allen drops a new track and video that takes on music video sexism.  It's fun, really nothing new, and has a couple issues... but Lily Allen is back y'all.  Why complain?

Part of me hopes, as slight as this is, that it's just a stand-alone "I'm back!" situation and not actually on her forthcoming third album.  The video is cute, the sentiment is nice and always welcome, but Alanis did this all a bit better with her "My Humps" video, and while I get the reason for the auto-tune in the chorus, it just doesn't sound so good.  I LOVE Lily's voice, and while yes... there's a lot of terrible auto-tune in pop music... but it just sounds awful.  Maybe I'm being too hard on this.  I just feel like she's hit harder in the past.

Don't get me wrong, very excited to have Lily back.  Can't wait to hear more.

Get re-familiar with Lily:



Enjoy.

Hard Out There
Somewhere Only We Know

No comments: