Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Getaway

Song: Getaway
Artist: Pearl Jam
Album: Lightning Bolt




Seattle Grunge heroes Pearl Jam return with their tenth album Lightning Bolt, producer by longtime collaborator Brendan O'Brien.

I can't say I've ever really been a huge fan of the band, outside of their debut album (the only one I own) but I very much like them, and it's nice to see and hear them continue to make great music together.  Lightning Bolt isn't a new direction or anything that's necessarily headline grabbing, but I was sucked in immediately by it's energy and impeccable rock production.

Given I haven't really followed the band and wouldn't know a Yield track from a Binaural one from a No Code... I can't really tell you how this stacks up against their previous work, all I can really say is that I just really dug this straight out the gate.  The start of the record is pretty flawless... I am loving opening track "Getaway," a new wave-ish burst of energy marked with Eddie's warm and familiar vocals and a killer groove.  Next is the pummeling first single "Mind Your Manners" which recalls their rollicking heyday... by the end of the track you're on board completely.

Second single "Sirens" is a rather pretty track and one that probably would have been HUGE in the 90s.  I love hearing the sound of an old band that knows how to keep it fresh.

If you've fallen off the Pearl Jam train but miss them... here's your chance.  I dare you to listen to "Getaway" and not feel a rush of nostalgic joy.

Enjoy.

Getaway
Mind Your Manners
Sirens

No comments: