Thursday, June 06, 2013

Beat Down - Steve Aoki with Angger Dimas feat. Iggy Azalea

Song: Beat Down
Artist: Steve Aoki with Angger Dimas feat. Iggy Azalea
Album: Wonderland Remixed




It's been a couple months since a song by Iggy Azalea clicked with me... "Work" seemed ridiculous initially, but very very listenable.  Since, she released what I think is an amazing, star-arriving music video to the track (see below) and a follow up, "Bounce" that doesn't really grab me.  But I have been obsessed with a track she's featured on by Steve Aoki... so it's filled the second-single slot for me, while we wait for Iggy's debut album The New Classic, coming sometime this summer.

More than being disappointed with "Bounce," I really feel like "Work" is still growing and should have still been pushed... I've been introducing it to friends whom have flipped for the song and video, and Iggy in general.  My boss came back yesterday from getting a coffee and saw the video playing while waiting in line. "Have you heard of this white chick who's 'working on her shit?  She is fierce!'" she asked.  It really is an announcement song, amazing.

"Beat Down" is equally captivating yet also initially a bit "is she serious?" like "Work."  Lyrically it's beyond juvenile  and that stuttered air-horn is... I don't even know how to describe it.  Yet... it works for me.  It really works.

And then there's "There's a party on your face and I'm about to dance on it."

Giiiiiiiiirrrrrrrl.

While they sound nothing alike, I'm grouping this track in with Icona Pop's "I Love It" as well as the new Miley Cyrus track as something I've been calling "Brat Pop," which sort of falls in line with a lot of what is said negatively about the current youth generation.  Entitled, self-absorbed, and "me" focused to a fault... giving birth to a lot of bratty dance pop.  I should hate it, but... I don't care... I love it.

Yes, "Beat Down" is ridiculous, but infectious.  It's cartoonishly agressive, not all that believable... but it's got a wink-wink-able charm to it that I've succumbed to.

This is a Steve Aoki track, whom I know little of... but this is really Iggy's show, and way more interesting than not only "Bounce," but all of the more hip-hop, and boring, mix tapes and EP's I've heard form her.  I'm hoping she goes more in the "Work"/this direction on The New Classic... time will tell.

Enjoy.

Beat Down
Work
Bounce

No comments: