Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Welcome to Japan

Song: Welcome to Japan
Artist: The Strokes
Album: Comedown Machine




I don't know what happened.

It's been twelve years since The Strokes roared onto the scene with their electrifying debut, and now the ten-year anniversary of their even-better sophomore album "Room on Fire."  But then "First Impressions of Earth" came and things just sort of unraveled from there.  I didn't dislike that record, nor did I their last, 2011's "Angles."  I just have had a hard time caring.

I've been listening to "Comedown Machine," their sort-of fast follow-up and unfortunately finding myself in the same situation... this is not a bad record, it has moments, but I'm just not caring.  Sadness.

While I sit here trying to come up with something mildly profound or even half-interesting to write about this record, I keep thinking I should re-listen to their albums one after another and try to see a bigger picture.  This is a great band, one that has given me a ton of joy and yet things are not the same.  Are their any surprises here?  Is it me?

As I listen to "Comedown Machine" I'm a little too obsessed with my own disappointment in it, in the band, in rock and roll in general... to tell you anything of real interest or importance.  I think it's best for you to take a listen on your own.  This is the fucking Strokes after all.

I like "Welcome to Japan" though.

Enjoy.



Welcome to Japan
Tap Out
All the Time

No comments: