Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Curse the Night

Song: Curse the Night
Artist: The Raveonettes
Album: Observator




I've gone in and out of being interested in the Raveonettes from album to album over the years, was tired of "their thing" it seemed, but since I saw they were putting out a new record I decided to give it a chance... and oddly, I think it might be my favorite record of theirs.

"Observator," the sixth album by Danish indie rock duo apparently got much of its inspiration from a three-day booze and drug bender Richard Gottehrer went on in Venice Beach while looking for inspiration for the album.  (Partly spawned by depression due to a back injury.)  The album was recorded in Sunset Sound Studios, a location the Doors used, which excited Gottehrer because of "ghosts."

The album does sound like The Raveonettes, though I hear less of the vintage rock & roll song-structures and simplistic chords of the past and hear a harkening back to the Modern/Alternative rock of the 80's and 90's, coupled with their reverb-soaked sound.  As I listened to this record I got vibes from Madder Rose, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure, even a little early R.E.M.

It's a woozy, druggy album for sure, and not for all tastes but I'm really digging this.

"Curse the Night" has become my favorite.  Great atmosphere.

Enjoy.

Curse the Night
Observations
The Enemy

No comments: