Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Clapslap

Song: Clapslap
Artist: Rampue
Album: Turn Around




Around this time in 2010, a co-worker was asking me about singer Shirley Ellis, and her song "The Nitty Gritty," which I had never heard of.  When I did some research, I found I did know Ellis, from her novelty song "The Name Game," which was a childhood favorite.  I quite enjoyed her complete recordings compilations and also immediately recognized "The Clapping Song," another novelty track from 1965. You most likely, thanks to cultural osmosis, also know the track as within the last year, there was this:


As always in life it seems, you discover something, in this case Shirley Ellis, and then she pops up everywhere.  Well... obviously I'm not done...

I recently got the EP "Turn Around" from German House "artist" Rampue, (The quotes indicate the very little I could find about the group, which could just be one dude,) and immediately flipped over the first track, "Clapslap," which samples none-other than... "The Clapping Song" by Shirley Ellis.  And it's rather amazing.

This track uses that technique which makes it sound like you're at a packed party,  which makes me want to play it... at a packed party.  It's got a tribal, 70's funk chant thing going on, and is just pretty infectious.

The rest of the four-track EP is some pretty solid deep house, including the ten-plus minute last track, "Zwitscherzwitscher" as well as the title track.

Enjoy.

Clapslap
Turn Around
Zwitscherzwitscher

No comments: