Monday, December 12, 2011

Between the Cheats

Song: Between the Cheats
Artist: Amy Winehouse
Album: Lioness: Hidden Treasures






I was almost a little surprised at just how much I was personally effected by Amy Winehouse's passing earlier this year.  Sure, I was a big fan of her breakthrough record "Back in Black," played it constantly, and thought she had a bright musical future ahead of her... as long as she could get her life together.  Alas that didn't happen, and sessions for a follow-up fell through.  But I really was taken aback at just how much I continued to think about Amy, listen to her music, and truly mourn a tortured soul.

Last week saw the release of "Lioness: Hidden Treasures," a compilation put together by her two closest producers, Salaam Remi and Mark Ronson.  It's certainly not the holy grail of Winehouse... it's no "Back in Black"and actually... it's not much original Amy.  Mostly covers and alternate versions of past Winehouse releases. ("Tears Dry," "Valerie ('68 Version.) But I can't stop listening to it, marveling at her voice (apparently some of these tracks were built using scratch vocals) and how casually she could be jaw-droppingly mesmerising.

I've been obsessed with "Between the Cheats" which I thought was a cover of a classic song I didn't know... but it's an original, and shows just how classic she was as a songwriter.

If you were a fan I think that this collection is necessary, even if it doesn't hold up to her past material.  It's wildly listenable, and yet the air of sadness that this is in fact IT that we'll get from Amy, is thick.  Tragedy.

Enjoy.

Between the Cheats
Our Day Will Come
Tears Dry

No comments: