Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What the Hell

Song: What the Hell
Artist: Avril Lavigne
Album: Goodbye Lullaby







My friend Felice, after introducing me to yet another heartbreaking Ray LaMontagne track, as well as the experimental and atmospheric sounds of s. carey, surprised me with her love for the new Avril Lavigne single, "What the Hell."  I took a listen, thought it was fun and cute, and some two weeks later... can't stop listening to it.  Thank you Felice... no really.

I haven't really followed Avril's career that much over the years since she broke into the scene as the "anti-Britney" in 2002, a description that she loathed.  I liked her persona and attitude, but didn't really take to her brand of bratty pop-punk.  Just not my thing.  Though I do remember really liking a single from her second record, "Don't Tell Me."  I remember hearing "Girlfriend" from her third record, which I thought was fun in a Kelly Clarkson/Pink pop-rock way, but didn't feel the same as I do about this new track, which has a similar sound.

It turns out that Avril has been working with some of the hottest hit-making producers of the last couple years, though it should be noted... the girl writes ALL of her songs.  That third record, 2007's "The Best Damn Thing," was mostly produced by Dr. Luke, whom is responsible for Ke$ha, the new Britney song, as well as multiple hits for Katy Perry, Adam Lambert, & Weezer.

This time around, she's teamed up with uber hit-maker Max Martin (Pink, Clarkson, everybody) for about half of her fourth album, "Goodbye Lullaby," which is being released at the beginning of March.  Martin lends his hook-addled assistance to "What the Hell," the first single and my latest obsession.  It's a killer pop-rock track that finds Avril going from good girl to bad... a persona that she's always sort of maintained.  It's energetic and upbeat, and man... take a look at the video below.  Despite the continued brattiness in her music, Avril is all grown up.

I didn't realize that Avril was dating Brody Jenner, which I learned doing a bit of research.  She broke off her marriage to Sum 41 singer Deryck Whibley, who actually produces the second half of "Goodbye Lullaby," which she describes as her most personal album to date.  Actually, "What the Hell" may possibly be a misnomer... as she's stated it's "the most pop track on the record." With the rest being a bit more piano-based and personal.  Hmmm.  Though, it does seem these pop-rock gems are her bread an butter.  She also recently penned iCarly star Miranda Cosgrove's new single "Dancing Crazy" which was also produced by Martin.

Guilty pleasure or not, "What the Hell" has hijacked my iPod, and made my mornign and evening commute a little more lively.  Rock on.  Thank you Felice!

Enjoy.

What the Hell


Alice


Don't Tell Me

No comments: