Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Magnificent (Fred Falke Remix)

Song: Magnificent (Fred Falke Remix)
Artist: U2
Album: Magnificent



Fred Falke Remix Week



There isn't much bigger than working with U2, and yet, their music doesn't lend itself to much remixing. Paul Okenfold did an amazing club remix of "Beautiful Day," back in the day, which I thought was really great... and yet that was really the only one I heard that I thought worked. For their latest album, U2 seemed to get into remixing a bit more with reworks of initial (awful) single "Get On Your Boots" as well as "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight." When "Magnificent" was released as a single, I got all, at least I thought, of the remixes including those by Richard Vission, Redanka, Adam K, and Pete Tong. But none of them really grabbed me.

Well, as I was doing research for Fred Falke week I found out that he also had done a remix of the song and once I heard it... surprise surprise... it's the best. U2's music is often anthemic and epic, and Falke uses that vibe in his remix going for more euphoric trance than "clubby." Again, Falke doesn't chop up the words like many remixers, letting Bono's soaring vocals float above the beats and guitars, and the words "Only love, only love can leave leave such a mark. Only love, only love can heal such a scar," really fly against a shimmering wall of beats.

Good stuff.

Enjoy.

Magnificent (Fred Falke Remix) - U2


Two Weeks (Fred Falke Remix) - Grizzly Bear


Bodies (Fred Falke Remix) - Robbie Williams

No comments: