Friday, December 11, 2009

Not Fair

Song: Not Fair
Artist: Lily Allen
Album: It's Not Me, It's You

Best of 2009






Lily Allen's debut album "Alright Still" hit me immediately. I fell in love with the pop-ska sound and her wicked sense of humor. That album was one of my favorites from that year, so I was eager to see what the girl would do next, especially after the success of the debut. Thankfully, Allen decided not to do a re-tread of her debut, but to skew more electro-pop for her sophomore record. The change in sound didn't strike me as much initially and I'll admit that I thought the record was just okay when I first got it. But over time it became one of my most listened to albums of the year as song-for-song, it's just very very strong.

What Allen was able to do with this record was expand her sound as well as mature, taking on more serious subjects without taking the fun or cheeky humor out of the music. Lead single "The Fear" as well as opener "Everyone's At It" and "I Could Say" showcase this elevated subject matter. My favorite tracks include the deliciously bratty, political, and infectious "Fuck You" as well as the faux-Country ditty "Not Fair."

Allen has stated that she is taking a break from music starting early next year and has no plans to make another record. Ever. This is unfortunate, and I hope she does begin to realize her talents, and her role in the pop music landscape.

Enjoy.

Not Fair

22

Fuck You

No comments: