Friday, March 21, 2008

Touch My Body


Song: Touch My Body
Artist: Mariah Carey
Album: E=MC2




So hate is a strong word… I understand that. So maybe that’s not the BEST way I would describe my feelings for Mariah Carey. But at the least, I have spent the majority of this girl’s career (which is impressive honestly) thinking she is just downright ridiculous. I must admit though that this was probably due mostly to my hipster bullshit, and the fact that I couldn’t possibly dig the vocal acrobatics and pop sound of Ms. Long Island Mimi.

Up until about two or three years ago I thought Mariah had exactly one good song, “Fantasy” which I would confess to digging ONLY because it so heavily sampled the amazing Tom Tom Club song “Genius of Love.” See, I could enjoy “Fantasy” semi-guilt free because it was laced with the former Talking Heads coolness… oy, youth is just patently obnoxious no? So I say “up until” because that was pre-“We Belong Together.”

Oh boy… “We Belong Together.” After the “Glitter”-fied breakdown, Ms. Carey came back with “The Emancipation of Mimi” what would become the best selling record of 2005. It was the comeback of comebacks and what really MADE the record was the mid-tempo flawlessness that was, “We Belong Together.” Okay, say what you will (the song had ten writers… TEN!) but “We Belong Together” was one of those songs, like Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You’ve Been Gone,” that literally everyone seemed to like, From pop radio, urban radio, children, thirty and forty-somethings, to even hipsters… it was just a HUGE single.

For her “Emancipation” follow up, Carey will be dropping “E=MC2” (clever!) in April. The first single is the “We Belong”-ish “Touch My Body.” While the song sounds similar, it doesn’t hold a candle to “Belong” and the ONLY reason I’m discussing this silly song is the lyric, “If there’s a camera up in here then it’s gonna leave with me, when I do (I do) If there’s a camera up in here then I’d best not catch this flick on YouTube (YouTube!)” Hahahaha! I have literally been laughing about this song for like a week and when I hear it it just makes me laugh. (I Also can’t get it out of my head.) And the way she Mariah’s it up on the YouTube… frankly it sounds like an SNL/Mad TV skit. Hysterical.

But I kid Ms. Mariah… I mean not for nothin’, but a clip of Mariah getting her sexy on posted to YouTube is something that she ACTUALLY needs to be concerned with. She’s always seemed a bit out of touch with reality… but this IS her reality. I love a crazy mess.

Enjoy.

OMG... this video is hysterical. It's got the guy from 30 Rock and proves that Mimi is not taking this song (or herself) too seriously. That's it, I surrender... LOVE YOU GIRL!

No comments: