Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe


Song: Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe
Artist: Whale
Album: We Care





My good friend Mike reminded me of the existence of this typically odd “Alternative Nation” seeking Swedish band who had a sole hit with this single back in 1993. I wouldn’t look for deeper meaning, the song came from a time when being “different” meant you had a record deal. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy this song at the time… but it also didn’t make me run out and buy the record. I hadn’t heard from Whale before or since but a little research unearthed some interesting facts…

The band was formed back in 1987 (As Southern Whale Cult) and released a handful of albums in Sweden before signing a worldwide deal in the early 90’s and recording “We Care” with producer Tricky. No second single ever took hold, but they did record a second album, “All Disco Dance Must End In Broken Bones” (really?) in 1998 with famed producer Brad Wood. (Liz Phair, Veruca Salt, Pete Yorn, and Ben Lee.) I have neither heard anything else off of “We Care” nor any of the sophomore record. I am sure there is a used record bin somewhere that may have multiple copies of both.

This is a goofy song that might hit a few nostalgia buttons if played in the correct context. If nothing else, it reminded me how nut-so the video was…

Enjoy.

Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe

Doc Martins, check. Scream/shout vocals, check. Braces…. hot.

1 comment:

Heff said...

This song is actually about nuclear proliferation, it's in favor of it... think about it, I haven't.