Friday, February 22, 2008

Funplex


Song: Funplex
Artist: B-52’s
Album: Funplex




Sixteen years between albums is certainly a stretch… and odd for a band that never officially broke up during that stretch. The B-52’s have always been in an odd league of their own, releasing off-the-wall party tunes that made good use of Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson’s go-go girl vocals and Fred Schneider’s… well, let’s just say when Fred starts to “sing” you know it’s a B-52’s song. In retrospect, it’s pretty amazing that “Love Shack,” their biggest hit, was as big as it was here… I mean it’s SUCH an odd song. And yet it brought the band to the mainstream and secured them a wedding favorite… how great is that?

Their follow up, “Good Stuff” was not nearly as commercially successful but was actually a really great record. I loved the title track and lead single, as well as “Revolution Earth” and “Hot Pants Explosion.” So even though sixteen years had past, I was really ready to hear what the band was coming up with next, given the music industry is indeed a different place.

The band was no longer on Reprise and thus they were actually shopping for a label to release their new material. Because of this I was actually able to hear a five-song preview of the new material more than a year ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t really impressed. I can’t honestly remember the songs I heard, or what stage they were in… but after giving a few listens to the official mix of first single “Funplex” I am no longer eager to write them, and their new material, off. “Funplex” is pure B-52’s, like sixteen years never happened. It’s outrageous, seemingly nonsensical, and totally catchy. I really like the rockabilly vibe… good stuff!

Let me know what you think… after all this time do they still have it?

Enjoy.

Private Idaho


Rock Lobster


Good Stuff

No comments: