Thursday, May 16, 2013

Free (feat. Emeli Sandé)

Song: Free (feat. Emeli Sandé)
Artist: Rudimental
Album: Home




The English-born, Scottish singer Emeli Sandé has been just about everywhere as of late, if I'm honest her album didn't really click with me, though I liked songs here and there.  But she features on a track I came across randomly and can't get enough of...

It turns out to be the final track from British drum and bass outfit Rudimental; "Free."

"Free" is a stirring, emotional song, that builds upon itself with Sandé's admittedly gorgeous voice riding the growing storm of a track.  In retrospect it does seem very album-closing, a dramatic finish to something.

I'm not much of a drum and bass fan, which might explain how I've missed this British band's rise, which started with initial single "Spoons" back in February of 2012.  They're on their fourth single from the album now, and I'm only just now taking a listen.  I'm only a couple tracks deep but "Home" seems to be a pop-drum and bass record, smoothing out some of the harsher sounds from the genre, and pairing them with a slew of vocalists including John Newman, Foxes, Angel Haze, & Sinead Harnett.

I'm still listening, but "Free" deserves to be heard, and I suppose I need to give Emeli Sandé a second chance in general.

Enjoy.

Free (feat. Emeli Sandé)
Waiting All Night
Feel the Love

No comments: