Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Naughty Naughty

Song: Naughty Naughty
Artist: John Parr
Album: John Parr





About a month ago I highlighted the song "Burning Feeling" by Lovelock, a song and record I've really been digging lately.  I happened to be playing the song while having some people over and my friend Glen heard the opening synth gurgle and began pointing at the stereo.  "That's from a John Parr song!" He yelped.  I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Well I took another listen to the synth line and then heard what I hadn't before when listening to "Burning Feeling," that open did sound like something... that's the open to the new Madonna song "I'm Addicted!"  Well I was sort of right, but it hit Glen after another moment... it was the opening to John Parr's "Naughty Naughty."  What is this now?

While I didn't know him by name, John Parr, an English musician, is best known for his #1 hit "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" from 1985.  Of course.

That song was commissioned by producer David Foster about the life of wheelchair activist Rick Hansen, and was included in the film of the same name, despite having nothing to due with Hansen.  It became a huge hit, and Parr became a go-to soundtrack guy, recording the movie theme (remember when they did that, for everything?) for Quicksilver, Three Men and a Baby, The Running Man, and American Anthem.

The aforementioned "Naughty Naughty," with the recognizable synth line, was used in the cult horror film "Near Dark," as well as being the fist single off his debut, self-titled solo album from 1994.  While I'd never hear "John Parr" before, it is SO almost over-the-top 80's, it seems like a parody.  But it's not. It's real.  With tracks entitled "Treat Me Like an Animal," "She's Gonna Love Ya to Death," and "Love Grammar..." you sort of get what I'm talking about.  Big guitars, bigger choruses, and some keeping-it-'modern' electronics... it's really mind blowing just how 80's this record is.

"Naughty Naughty" is a fun nostalgia trip.  And who knew it would ultimately be influential to 2012 electro.

Enjoy.

Naughty Naughty
Treat Me Like an Animal
St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)

No comments: