Wednesday, November 09, 2011

I Don't Want Money Tonight

Song: I Don't Want Money Tonight
Artist: Boss in Drama
Album: Pure Gold






Obviously, based on this over-the-top cover art, Boss in Drama  doesn't take this all too seriously... or at least is operating with a little tongue-in-cheek.  I unfortunately can't find much about the guy, as both his MySpace and Facebook are in Spanish.  But it seems he's from Sao Paulo, Brazil, "Pure Gold" is his first album, and... well, he's got some flashy fashion sense.

But "Pure Gold" has been seeping out of my headphones for the past couple weeks.  It's a great mix of loungy-house that draws inspiration from 70's disco, 80's pop, 90's house... you name it.  It's got its goofy moments (that sax in "Body Rock!") but it all seems to be a bit of a goof on the whole thing.  Regardless, this is a rather well produced album of catchy lounge music that I've just eaten up.  It's like a less serious Sam Sparro.

After a brief intro, the album opens up with the amazing "I Don't Want Money Tonight," which has a bit of a slow build but then explodes into a killer groove.  Amazing.  And from there on the album doesn't let up in its global village disco propulsion.  This makes a great just-put-it-on album for a cocktail party or even a getting-ready-to-go-out party-starter.

My favorite tracks are "Disco Karma," "Body Rock," "and "Pure Gold," though this is one that's good throughout and pretty consistent.  Very fun.

You can listen to the entire album on the Boss in Drama's Soundcloud page where you'll also find some remixes he's done for the likes of Miami Horror and N.E.R.D.

Enjoy.

I Don't Want Money Tonight
I've Got Tonight
Disco Karma

No comments: