Tuesday, September 27, 2011

We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)

Song: We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)
Artist: Rihanna
Album: We Found Love (single)







When I first heard Rihanna's "Only Girl (in the World)" I didn't hear an "Umbrella"-sized hit, but that song really really grew on me, and turned out to be one of my favorite songs from last year.  The album that song was from, "Loud" just finished a successful string of no less than seven singles (with varying degrees of success) with an eighth via a re-release expected.  But instead of re-releasing the album with a couple new tracks and stretch it out for the holidays, Rihanna has decided to release an entire new album later this year, and she's already got the first single out, "We Found Love."

I mention "Only Girl," because I'm feeling the same way about "We Found Love"... thought it was okay, no "Umbrella," but it's already growing on me.  Now of course, this single is big deal news for WeCastMusic because it's produced an "features" (??) one of my favorite artists/producers, Calvin Harris.  It's got his trademark sound, married to Rihanna's trademark vocals... dance-pop gold?  Well, it is growing on me... but what I really like is that the beat is made from a vaguely Caribbean sound (which I can't place) yet doesn't fit in that genre at all... but bridges a bit of a gap between the Euro-leaning dance pop she's recently embraced, and the island sound she was brought up with. (and toe-dipped with Loud's "Man Down.")

The hipster may scoff at this, but I also think Rihanna seems adept at taking what seems to be a simple line, and give it much weight.  The chorus of "Only Girl" is an example of something seemingly straightforward that at the right time and on the right dancefloor, felt like the deepest of emotional pleading.  I have to say the line "We found love in a hopeless place" continues to hold more weight with each spin.  Am I reaching?  Possibly.

Seems like a grower to me though... but will it be Calvin's most successful single/collaboration to date?  Just possibly.

Enjoy.

We Found Love
Man Down
Cheers (Drink to That)

No comments: