Friday, May 06, 2011

Hypnotico

Song: Hypnotico
Artist: Jennifer Lopez
Album: Love?






Well if I haven't lost any WeCast readers with this pop-tastic week... today is sure to do it!  Jennifer Lopez?  Have I lost my mind?  Well... hang with me a second.

I've never been much a fan of Ms. Lopez both as an actress or a singer/pop star.  I'm not watching the current season of American Idol, the first I just didn't tune into, but have had a bit of regret from the great reviews that both she and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler have gotten for bringing the show back to life.  Anyhow, good on them.

Lopez as a recording artist has consisted of urban, vaguely "Latin"pop tunes that I've felt could be sung by just about anyone.  I'll admit I've enjoyed a track here or there in the same way I've liked other semi-faceless pop acts like Ciara, the Pussycat Dolls, blah blah blah.  But I have to say that I really have dug the first single on her latest dance-pop leaning album "Love?," the Pitbull cameo dancefloor filler "On the Floor."  It's got the faint "salsa" mixed in with the current popular Euro-pop beats and a memorable chorus.  It reminded me in a way of Enrique Iglesias' "I Like it," another semi-cheesy pop song that I couldn't stop listening to about a year back.  And what do they have in common?  Well they are produced by none other than RedOne, Lady Gaga's chief collaborator and the guy behind "Just Dance," "Paparazzi," "Bad Romance," and her latest "Judas."  I can't escape this woman!

Well it gets worse... so I heard that Ms. Gaga had co-written a couple tracks for La Lopez on this album, and I just had to check them out.  "Invading My Mind" sounds pretty generic in it's pop (much like the rest of "Love?") and has musical similarities to the hard driving "Bad Romance" and "Judas."  It made me shrug.

But then there is "Hypnotico," a bonus track tossed on the end that is also written by RedOne and Gaga, but produced by a Jimmy Joker, who I don't know.  "Hypnotico" has a reggaeton-lite beat that seems completely disposal, but when it gets to the chorus... I'm sold.  And reminded once again about the brilliance of Gaga... the girl can write a mind-numbing, uber-joyous chorus at the seeming drop of a hat. So I've had "Hypnotico" on repeat for the past couple of days, and might be one of my favorite tracks Lopez has ever recorded.  Song of the summer?  Well, despite it being Lopez who is doing rather well on the charts, it is listed as a bonus track and so I don't see it being released as a single.  Too bad... it's smoking.  ALL the boys gone crazy.

Happy Friday, enjoy!

Hypnotico

On the Floor

Invading My Mind

No comments: