Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cover Your Eyes

Song: Cover Your Eyes
Artist: The Shoes
Album: Crack My Bones






The Shoes are a French duo who craft electronic-influenced indie-rock.  Their debut album, "Crack My Bones" was released just last month.  It contains collaborations with Esser, Primary 1, Wave Machines, and CocknBullKid, and was mixed by Lexxx (Crystal Castles, Everything Everything, Golden Silvers.)

I've been trying to wrap my head around "Crack My Bones" for a while.  Upon a couple initial listens nothing really grabbed me, no instantly catchy hooks to grab onto, and yet the music and vocals were so intriguing that I've kept listening.  It certainly is upbeat and joyful, especially the stomper "Time to Dance" and shimmering opener "Stay the Same."  The majority of the album is comprised of mid-tempo dance-rock, these songs just take a little while to unfurl themselves for you.

I hear a wide range of influences, from Empire of the Sun, Yeasayer, MGMT, Scissor Sisters, etc. and hear elements of Drum & Bass, Electro, House, and Dubstep... though this is a rock record.

I like the clangy "Cover Your Eyes" which gives me a little Duran Duran.  "People Movin'" is swirling and manic yet the vocals ground the song, it's quite special.  Things slow down for the dramatic "Wastin' Time," which is cinematic and classic sounding.  (Are these the worst descriptions I've ever written?  How much can I say without saying anything at all?)

"Crack My Bones" is a pop record that I can't seem to get my head around or put into words.  But I like it, I recommend it... you're just going to have to check it out yourself. ;)

You can read more about the band on their official website.

Enjoy.

Cover Your Eyes

Stay the Same

Wastin' Time

No comments: