Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Buy Nothing Today

Song: Buy Nothing Today
Artist: The Go! Team
Album: Rolling Blackouts






I was a huge fan of English, Brighton-based sextet The Go! Team's debut album "Thunder, Lightening, Strike" from 2004.  A mix of garage rock, b-boy culture and old school hip-hop, Marching band brass, guitars, and schoolyard chanting, the band's sound was immediate and exciting.  I flipped for their initial singles "Ladyflash" and "Bottle Rocket."  The band is releasing their third album, "Rolling Blackouts" this year.

Despite loving "Thunder, Lightening, Strike" so much, I couldn't get that into their follow-up, 2007's "Proof of Youth."  I gave it a listen or two but it just didn't grab me.  I've gotten to listen to "Rolling Blackouts" a handful of times and it seems to be an improvement, but I'm still just getting into it.  (I also think I need to give "Proof of Youth" a better chance.)

The album starts with a bang; the immediate, whizz-bang "T.O.R.N.A.D.O." which instantly gets you back into The Go! Team's aesthetic.  Marching horns, stuttered beats, vinyl scratching... The Go! Team are back!

I also like "Secretary Song," a colab with Satomi Matzusaki of Deerhoof that highlights their affinity for 60's girl-group sounds.  Also similar is the sunny "Ready to Go Steady," which is cute and fun.  Much of the album is very charming.  Repeated listens are making me grow even fonder.

First single "Buy Nothing Today" features vocals by Best Coast's Bethany Cosentino, check it out.

Enjoy.

Buy Nothing Today


T.O.R.N.A.D.O.


Rolling Blackouts Trailer

No comments: