Thursday, November 04, 2010

REVOFEV

Song: REVOFEV
Artist: Kid Cudi
Album: Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager






I was a big fan of Kid Cudi's debut album "Man on the Moon: The End of Day," a musically varied hip hop odyssey that was as trippy and sonically diverse as it was incredibly catchy.  I flipped for singles "Day 'N' Nite" and "Pursuit of Happiness," as well as album track "Simple As."  But as a whole it was pretty incredible.

Next week will see the release of his follow up, "Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager," I've been very interested to hear the entire album just to find out if Cudi was going to be a one trick pony.  After a couple of listens I'm happy to report that "Mr. Rager" is a hands-down success, just as dynamic as the debut without repeating himself.  This is one of the most interesting guys working in hip hop, and probably little known.

I'd first heard promo single "REVOFEV" a couple months ago, produced by Plain Pat & No I.D. I really dug it right away and immediately fell into his flow and dark semi-sinister vibe of the track.  (Something that flowed through the entirety of his debut, and continues on "Mr. Rager.")  Second I hear first single proper "Erase Me" featuring collaborator Kanye West which honestly sounds like a collaboration with Weezer.  Lots of crunchy, catchy guitar work... quite a surprise.  But I also recently just read that Cudi is interested in getting into more rock music and leaving the hip hop behind.  Interesting.  My only complaint with "Erase Me" is that like "Simple As..." from the debut... it's over as soon as you get into it.  Grrrr!

The rest of "Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager" is a sound collage and freak-out trip that really can only be compared to his debut because it's so out there.  It's another entire album of soundscapes, off-kilter raps, and stellar production.  He's not repeating himself... he's just in a class entirely on his own.  Do I hear a little xx in "Mr. Rager?" Despite the onslaught of collaborators, (Kanye, Mary J. Blige, Cee-Lo Green, Cage, St. Vincent, etc.) this album is unquestionably a Kid Cudi joint.

This album and Kanye's upcoming "My Beautiful dark Twisted Fantasy" were my two most anticipated hip hop albums of the end of the year.  Kid Cudi did not disappoint.  Kanye?

Enjoy.

REVOFEV


Erase Me


Mr. Rager

No comments: