Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baptism (Punks Jump Up Remix)

Song: Baptism (Punks Jump Up Remix)
Artist: Crystal Castles
Album: Baptism Single




So my friend Jorge had been trying to get my into Toronto's Crystal Castles but after a listen to their second self-titled album, I just wasn't convinced.  Producer Ethan Kath mixes hardcore house with experimental lo-fi sounds with the quite unpleasant "vocals" from singer Alice Glass... I just found it to be noisy and well... unlistenable.

I've been changing my tune a little as I'm really enjoying the Punks Jump Up remix of latest single "Baptism." It's some serious trancy house music with hard beats and the ah... "vocals" mixed fairly low.  I dig it.

So I thought it important to re-listen to the album and see what it is I was missing. (Or if I was right... it's total noise.)

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of tracks I really did like.  Initial single "Celestica" (the only one that I liked at all form initial listen) really is beautiful and stellar, I also like the pounding of "Year of Silence," and the etherial "Suffocation."

I'm changing my tune on them a bit.  Anyone hear their first record?  Should I check out?  Also, any albums you listened to once and thought it was awful only to have it grow on you?

Enjoy.

Baptism (Punks Jump Up Remix)


Celestica


Suffocation

No comments: