Wednesday, July 28, 2010

White Night

Artist: The Postelles
Song: White Night
Album: The Postelles







The Postelles are a very young band hailing from the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  The guys are just in their early twenties but make upbeat garage rock with 50's Doo-Wop influences.  Initially, they reminded me of the pub-rock of Scotland's The Fratellis, but the more I listened I sort of saw them as a mix of that band (at least the debut of that band, not their terrible second album) and the Strokes.  And actually, the more I listened the more I heard the Strokes... and come to find out, the album was produced by none other than the Strokes Albert Hammond Jr.  But regardless of the sound, there is a sense of pure joy and youthful enthusiasm to the record that is downright infectious.

As young rock bands go, I just haven't been able to connect with these emo rock kids that sound all the same to me.  (Though come to think of it, a follower of this blog could fault me in the same way for all the electro-pop I listen to.  Oh well.)  And while The Postelles recall many other bands and sounds, I really think they have something, and bet their live shows are fun and harken back to a different era in rock and roll.

I really think this might be a band to watch.  They've got something.  Album isn't due until October, but you can get "White Night" and two other tracks for sale on their website in exchange for joining their mailing list.  The album is available for pre-order on Amazon, link above.

Enjoy.


White Night


123 Stop


Stella

1 comment:

Mike Heffron said...

This song also reminds me a little of the Supergrass song "Alright". Since I like that song that's not a bad thing.