Friday, July 30, 2010

Black Country Rock

Song: Black Country Rock
Artist: David Bowie
Album: The Kids Are Alright Soundtrack







While I haven't seen the film yet, I've been really diggging the soundtrack to the new Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo movie "The Kids Are Alright."  It's a mix of 70's rock and indie of today.  Since I haven't seen the film, I have no idea how it all works, but it at least does on the soundtrack.  Joni Mitchell, Deerhoof, MGMT, X, and Gabor Szabo all make appearances on this eclectic set.

The song that has most struck me though, is "Black Country Rock," a song I sort of recognized but didn't realize it was Bowie.  And yet... it's unmistakably Bowie, though doesn't really sound like the Bowie we came to know.  I almost thought it was a cover, but it's not.  Written for his third studio album "The Man Who Sold the World," which is probably best known for it's title track.  Though this was the album that Bowie really came into his sound... and while it's not as glam as he would go just a couple years later, it does ring with a more classic rock sound that I never associated with the man, especially given his 80's and beyond output.

Regardless, this is a classic gem I probably SHOULD have known better, but glad to know it now.  I've also heard the film is rather good... anyone see it?

Enjoy.

Black Country Rock

No comments: