Thursday, May 20, 2010

California Gurls

Song: California Gurls
Artist: Katy Perry
Album: Teenage Dream






Well, since this week has inadvertently taken on a first single from established artists' theme, here is Katy Perry's first single from her sophomore album "Teenage Dream."

"California Gurls" apparently is a semi-response to Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind," Perry stated:

"It’s so great that 'Empire State of Mind' is huge and that everyone has the New York song, but what the f**k? What about LA? What about California?. It's been a minute since we had a California song and especially from a girl's perspective. We took the references of Prince, which is always a great reference, and some of the '90s, almost house music references".

The song is the sort of perfect summer confection that I can imagine we'll be hearing just about everywhere for the next three months. It's fluff for sure, with a chorus so goofy and lyrically awkward, and yet... it really falls in line with Perry's smash successes off of her debut "One of the Boys." I wasn't a fan initially, really didn't care for "I Kissed a Girl," but further singles "Hot N' Cold" and especially "Waking Up in Vegas" won me over, and yet both also contain absolutely ridiculous lyrics and chorus' that are... ridiculously catchy. And while I immediately rolled my eyes at first hearing "California Gurls" (and that silly spelling, a pop pet peeve of mine) like Perry herself, I've folded and given in. It's a silly summer jam that you either go along with (and get a tooth ache) or despise outright. It's already number one on iTunes... again I think it's going to be pretty inescapable.

Well, I still need one big first single from a major summer release yet for tomorrow... help me readers, suggestions?

Enjoy.

California Gurls


No comments: