Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Something is Squeezing My Skull


Song: Something is Squeezing My Skull
Artist: Morrissey
Album: Years of Refusal




Always at the top of my “Can’t Wait For” list, is the prospect of a new Morrissey album. And this has doubled since his one-two punch of 2004’s “You Are the Quarry” and 2006’s excellent “Ringleader of the Tormentors.” So it came with much excitement that Moz’s new album, “Years of Refusal” is coming out next month. Jerry Finn, the producer behind “Quarry” is back (though unfortunately, died of a severe cerebral hemorrhage just after the album was complete) and “Refusal” cuts a similar vein to both predecessors. Though I must admit, I’m not feeling it as much as I did the last two releases.

First single “I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris” sounds like a return to “Vauxhall & I” Morrissey, (possibly my favorite record of his) a bit more acoustic and laid back. But it doesn’t bite, at least hasn’t yet, as hard as the stellar songwriting on “Vauxhall.” Elsewhere, the album contains the rock and could only be Morrissey swagger that we (well fans) have grown to love. I really like album opener “Something is Squeezing My Skull,” a Morrissey title if there ever was one. It reminded me of the rock swagger of “Ringleader,” making me think I was in for another good treat.

Oddly, the album includes “All You Need is Me” and “That’s How People Grow Up” from his recent Greatest Hits album. They totally fit on the album, but it’s just odd as I don’t think a proper Morrissey album has ever included previous released material. Though, “That’s How People Grow Up” remains one of the best tracks on the album.

I’m still listening, but thus far it’s just a slight disappointment for me. But my expectations are probably a little off. Certainly, if you like the man, you’ll love “Refusal.”

And there is no denying... the cover is AWESOME.

Enjoy.

I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris

No comments: