Thursday, October 23, 2008

Summerboy


Song; Summerboy
Artist: Lady Gaga
Album: The Fame



I’ve been listening to the debut album by electro-pop hopeful Lady Gaga for a while and initially I thought it was filled with some just okay dance tracks, and some that were laugh out loud stupid. But over time I’ve continued to add it to my daily playlist and the songs slowly took hold. A lot of it remains pretty stupid, but it’s a charming kind of stupid. (of course that depends on your tolerance for charmingly stupid) I also saw how much time she was giving to the gay community with appearances on Logo, as well as interviews with gay publications in order to spread her brand of dance pop to an audience that eats it up. So props to you for that Lady.

Initially I heard her big hit “Just Dance” which upon initial listen had me relegating her to a cheap dance act, but it certainly grew on me. Which in general has been the case for her entire album.

This sounds like a half-hearted recommendation… but I suppose it’s just that I’ve been surprised at how much I’ve grown to like a lot of these songs. She’s a bit Gwen Stefani, a bit Annie, she has an urban edge that is sort of like what Britney does… but not quite. (Though it has been rumored she penned a track for Britney’s upcoming record) I don’t know… I guess you’ll have to decide for yourself. The albums sound is actually pretty varied.

She’s released no less than three singles from the record, her latest being “Poker Face” (one of the tracks I deemed as stupid, but catchy.) I’m currently really digging “Summerboy” which has a breezy fun vibe to it. Maybe as winter begins to set in here in New York, I’m just looking for some new, if fabricated, summer bliss.

Enjoy.

Just Dance

No comments: