Friday, August 22, 2008

The Girl You Lost to Cocaine (Sander van Doorn Remix)


Song: The Girl You Lost to Cocaine (Sander van Doorn Remix)
Artist: Sia
Album: The Girl You Lost To Cocaine




Sia is still probably best known for her 2004 single “Breathe Me” which was used in the finale of the HBO series “Six Feet Under.” I loved the song (as well as the Mylo remix) but couldn’t get into the other tracks I heard from her record, “Colour the Small One.” Earlier his year she released her follow up, “Some People Have Real Problems,” which I got, listened to, and thought was awful. Well… awful boring. So long Sia.

Well not yet. I randomly found a blog that posted this remix done by Dutch DJ Sander van Doorn. One listen and I was hooked. It gets a bit trancy at times, but it has a great build and fills a boring song with new life. As it happened again… I heard this song at my first Blowoff party… and it’s a great four-on-the-floor dance anthem. (and the irony of seeing blissed out guys on drugs dancing to a song called “The Girl You Lost to Cocaine” did not ecscape me.)

I do think Sia has a great commanding voice, but really don’t know what I think of her as a songwriter. When the Dido-esque “Breathe Me” was a hit I expected her to expand on that sound and really deliver. But instead she either followed her muse or wanted to defy expectations. Either way, it doesn’t work.

This is the only Sander van Doorn remix I’ve heard, but I did have a chance to listen to his debut album “Supernaturalistic.” Unfortunately it’s entirely instrumental… and lacks exactly what I seem to be missing in a lot of this club music. Where are the words?! While he does, as mentioned, veer the song into a few vocal free moments, he does employ them at just the right time. It works. So while Sia is so-so, and Sander’s right with her, the combo turns out to produce dancefloor bliss! Yay.

Enjoy.

Breathe Me

Cool video!

The Girl You Lost to Cocaine (original)

No comments: