Monday, June 02, 2008

Into the Nightlife


Song: Into the Nightlife
Artist: Cyndi Lauper
Album: Bring Ya to the Brink




I had been holding off posting about this song because of possible interesting news regarding the songs video, and yours truly… but I can’t wait any longer! Haha.

Last week Cyndi Lauper’s tenth studio album “Bring Ya to the Brink” was released, her first of original material since 2001’s “Shine” (which was actually only released in Japan.) I have been listening to the record almost non-stop and think it is absolutely amazing. Not only is this one of her best album to date, but it also trumps the new Madonna record in song for song quality… I certainly didn’t see that coming.

Lauper certainly hasn’t had a Madonna-sized career, despite coming into prominence around the same time, helping define “the MTV generation.” Like Madonna, Lauper has decided to fully embrace a dance record after years of more straight up pop leaning tunes. She’s worked with a handful of interesting collaborators on the record including Rich Morel, Basement Jaxx, and Kleerup (of Robyn’s “With Every Heartbeat” fame.) I was really digging “Set Your Heart,” the first song that was leaked a couple weeks back, and am delighted to report that the rest of the record is as good with some tracks being much better.

“Same Ol’ Story” is the first official single (which I actually think is just okay) but I have officially gone head over heals for reported second single “Into the Nightlife.” It’s a bouncy slice of Euro-disco and one of her best singles in over a decade. Lyrically it’s not much to write about, but it’s so insanely catchy… I have my fingers crossed that it will become the hit it deserves, and if not here then in Europe. The song is co-penned by pop mastermind Max Martin (of “Baby… One More Time” and “Since You’ve Been Gone” fame.)

As mentioned, I am eagerly awaiting the debut of the music video because I might be in it! I went to the filming here in the city and the BF and I are right up front for a reaction shot during part of the filming. Actually, this is exactly what we saw… someone happened to be filming with a camera phone (of course!)

I will of course post the video once it debuts.

I really can’t recommend this album enough and am happy to because of all the incredible things Cyndi is doing for Human Rights and equality. She’s headlining the True Colors tour once again this summer with the B-52’s. She’s been such an advocate for gay rights and I feel that this new record is a love letter to the fans that have stuck with her since the beginning.

Enjoy.

More from the filming… I can’t see me but I know I’m there!

No comments: