Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Underneath


Song: Underneath
Artist: Alanis Morissette
Album: Flavors of Entanglement




I’m not a real HUGE Alanis fan, but like a lot of her work. I didn’t “get” her when she exploded on the scene in the 90’s and saw her debut album “Jagged Little Pill” become nothing less than a cultural phenomenon. Since that career intro (and high) Morissette has sold considerably less records and has found less fanfare come with each new record. Her latest, “Flavors of Entanglement” will be released next month.

While not a huge fan I have certainly felt for Alanis and her diminishing sales. I was NOT a fan of “Jagged Little Pill,” and was surprised at how much I liked her follow up, “Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie.” The songs continued Alanis’ original vibe… but had much less of the lashing out (which I thought was juvenile vs. cathartic) and were just better songs. Even better was her third record, 2002’s “Under Rug Swept” which matched her ear for catchy melodies and quality song craft.

For her fifth album proper, Alanis has decided to add more electronic flourishes to her sound. Despite having some of her songs being reworked into successful club hits in the past, I just don’t feel Alanis has it in her to be a dance artist. For the most part, she is SO wordy with her lyrics that they just don’t fit with the simplicity needed for a dance track. I’ve only listened to “Flavors” once through but was not completely impressed. If you’re a fan you’re a fan… it’s not awful by any means. (Is that really a recommendation?)

First single “Underneath” is catchy enough, but I feel like it’s really TRYING to write a catchy pop song. I don’t know… am I being hard on her?

Enjoy.

Underneath

No comments: