Friday, May 02, 2008

Evil Urges


Song: Evil Urges
Artist: My Morning Jacket
Album: Evil Urges




Everything about My Morning Jacket has been a small build. The Kentucky based country-alt-rock band has been recording and touring since 1998, and with “Evil Urges,” the bands 5th full length, they have once again delivered a challenging and catchy work, and I think I like it even better than 2005’s “Z.”

The band has been touring endlessly since inception and while I haven’t ever seen them, they have been quickly gaining a reputation as one of the best rock performers around. (They released a very well received live DVD entitled “Okonokos” in 2006.) On record, they have taken elements of country-infused southern rock, and added everything from reggae influences to electronica. With “Evil Urges,” they are getting buzz as an American Radiohead… and I see the comparison. The songs on “Evil Urges” are equally strange but totally listenable, and catchy. The lead title track sets the stage for something big and song for song, they deliver.

I’m still listening to “Evil Urges” and new layers and delights keep coming up. It could be one of the most talked about records of the year.

Enjoy.

No comments: