Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Driver's Seat


Song: Driver’s Seat
Artist: Sniff ‘n’ the Tears
Album: Fickle Heart



What’s in a name? I don’t know… but “Sniff ‘n’ the Tears” has got to be one of the WORST band names to come along in the history of rock & roll. And yet that didn’t stop them from having a top twenty hit with their most well known song, “Driver’s Seat.” But I’m afraid that’s all I know of the band… did they ever have another hit? (Wikipedia says no.)

But all of that said, “Driver’s Seat” is a killer song. I distinctly remember it from the early 80’s… I think it was on a new wave compilation I had on vinyl, not sure though. But it’s really evocative, sexy, and a little confusing. I honestly don’t know what it’s about… driving on a Saturday night, some girl named Jenny (she was “sweet”) and something about the “news is blues.” I don’t know… and it’s amazing how little it matters… maybe that helps with its mystery.

The song was used to good effect in the 1997 film “Boogie Nights.” It’s such a great moody song and one everyone should know.

Enjoy.

Driver’s Seat

No comments: