Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Four Winds


Song: Four Winds
Artist: Bright Eyes
Album: Cassadaga



I’ll be honest… I don’t know much about Bright Eyes early material, only recently getting into the group after 2005’s critically herald album “I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning.” I really liked that record, loved Conor Oberst’s voice and REALLY flipped for the single “First Day of My Life” which is one of the sweetest, most honest love songs to come out in a while. And did so without being goofy!

Oberst is a bit of a Ryan Adams, constantly writing and releasing music at a pace that I really can’t keep up with. “Cassadaga” is his latest, which will be released on April 10th. The album hasn’t grabbed me like “Wide Awake” did, but first single “Four Winds” is an excellent song whose melody, while not at first very catchy, really does get under your skin. Oberst is definitely an artist not from his time, having more in common with a Neil Young and other 60’s and 70’s songwriters. But he is not without his experimentation, as “Digital Ash in a Digital Urn,” which was released the same day as “Wide Awake” was a mostly electronic affair, though was critically and commercially eclipsed by the latter album.

I also dig Oberst for his integrity, releasing the brave anti-Bush administration song “When the President Talks to God” or his consistent boycott of the Clear Channel corporation, refusing to perform in any of its affiliated venues. (Which is NOT easy.)

Another key track off the new record that I really have gravitated toward is “Make a Plan to Love Me” another sweet, straight ahead ballad that wears it’s heart on it’s sleeve and yet never dips into cheesy schlock. Not an easy task.

Enjoy.

The AMAZING (and GLADD recognized) video for "First Day of My Life"


The video for "Four Winds"

No comments: