Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Panic On


Song: Panic On
Artist: Madder Rose
Album: Panic On




Another blast from my musical past, Madder Rose’s “Panic On” from their 1994 release of the same name was one of my favorite songs for a good while. I pulled it out recently after listening to an unsigned female fronted band that’s lead singer’s voice had an uncanny resemblance to that of Madder Rose’s Mary Lorson.

Formed in 1990, Madder Rose was a New York City based indie rock band that produced very of-its-time jangle rock for their first two records, 1993’s debut “Bring it Down,” and “Panic On.” They switched to a more electronic trip-hop vibe for 97’s “Tragic Magic” and their swan song, 1999’s “Hello June Fool.” I only have the middle two albums, and while “Panic On” the song still is a personal favorite, I must admit that as a whole I liked “Tragic Magic” much better. From my research it seems that their debut is the more critically lauded release, which I haven’t heard.

Listening to them again it reminds me of a time where music was very exciting to me. With bands like The Breeders, Belly, Morrissey, 10,000 Maniacs, The Cure (their early 90’s resurgence,) Matthew Sweet, and COUNTLESS others all being part of something that seemed big to me… important. I worry that this is true sign that I’m becoming an old man because despite trying, I can not get into these bands of the moment like The Arcade Fire, The Shins, etc. I don’t dislike them but there is no connection, and I’m not sure why. I hope that it’s not simply being jaded… because I don’t think that it the case as there is new music I am constantly getting into and really praising. Yet it seems to tend more towards the pop of Lily Allen than say the art rock of TV on the Radio. (Though “Wolf Like Me” was one of my favorite tunes of last year.)

Anyhow, the music world can pretty much agree that back then, even when music seemed a bit more adventurous, Madder Rose were sorely overlooked. Check out “Panic On,” it just might be your favorite new song.

Enjoy.

The video for “Panic On”


And their very first video from "Bring it Down"

No comments: