Friday, December 01, 2006

Oh Come All Ye Faithful


Song: Oh Come All Ye Faithful
Artist: Twisted Sister
Album: Twisted Christmas







I don’t know about you, but the fact that it is December 1st today is semi-freaking me out. I was just wondering where the summer went, and now the fall is out the door and winter is in full swing. (Despite it being close to 70 in New York.) In the music world, its tis’ the season for releases that make perfect gift, but also for an onslaught of holiday themed music. Personally, I half loath holiday music… which probably comes across as a little bah-humbug, but I do find most of it pretty grating.

There have been some half-way tolerable holiday collections from various artists, and a scant few full holiday albums from artists that work. (I personally love the Brenda Lee Christmas record the best.) But while there are artists I really like with new holiday albums out this year (Aimee Mann, Sarah McLachlan) I really have zero interest in getting them.

I can promise you I won’t be highlighting much holiday music this month, but since it is December 1st I felt it right to show you something that I actually think is kind of funny. Twisted Sister are marking their thirtieth year as a band together by releasing one final album, and it’s a holiday record to boot. “Twisted Christmas” is comprised of the hair-metal legends putting their sleazy, nasty voodoo all over classics like “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus,” and “I’ll Be Home For Christmas.” (with Lita Ford!) It’s all kind of awful, but that’s besides the point… what’s funny is that what was once considered dangerous is now kitschy fun.

Best of the lot is the first single, “Oh Come All Ye Faithful” which is done in the style of their biggest hit, “We’re Not Gunna Take It.” (The band has actually admitted that their song was inspired by the holiday classic. Really?) It works… not really as “music” per say, but at least it’s something different! And in true Twisted Sister style they have made two funny clips for the song, one animated and one live action (which will REALLY remind you of “We’re Not Gunna Take It”) that are a fun view. Check them out below.

Enjoy, and heck… Happy Holidays!



No comments: