Thursday, November 16, 2006

Dreams


Song: Dreams
Artist: Deep Dish
Album: George is On





Can this be considered a cover? Well… while those are Stevie Nicks vocals, they are newly recorded vocals for this version of the song. Deep Dish contacted her to get permission to mix the song for their latest album “George is On,” and she thought it best to come in and do new vocals that would fit the beat better. How cool is that? But can that be considered a cover? You tell me.

“Dreams” is of course a dance floor “re-imagining,” if you will, of the Fleetwood Mac classic from their seminal 70’s album “Rumors.” While remix collections are popping up from 80’s mixes(Future Retro), jazz (Verve Remix vol. 1-3), and the likes of Shirley Bassey & most recently Nina Simone, Deep Dish’s “Dreams” begs for that 70’s soft rock remix collection you know you were afraid to ask for. (Can you imagine Fatboy Slim remixing Seals & Croft? HOT)

The rest of “George is On” is rather good, standouts being the other singles, “Say Hello” and “Flashdance.”

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan so I am always interested in anything new, remixed or rare. I was surprised at how much I like this version since I have heard all the live versions available. the CD is good as well.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call it a cover - that is when one artist plays another artists music. This is more of a collaboration and/or remake.

Whatever you call it, I like it. Of course, it is probably hard to foul up her vocals no matter what you do.