Monday, January 12, 2015

Best of 2014 - Supernova - Ray LaMontagne

Best of 2014


Song: Drive-In Movies
Artist: Ray LaMontagne
Album: Supernova




It took a slight re-invention but in 2014 I finally "got" Ray LaMontagne.  A lauded folksy singer-songwriter since his early 2000's start, Supernova is the man's fifth studio album, and a bit of a 60s psychedelic soul departure from his typical straight-up country-tinged folk.  Produced by The Black Keys Dan Auerbach.

Supernova was my Summer album, played a lot while out of the city and reconnecting with my past, being with family, and dealing with mortality.  For that I may have elevated the album a bit given personal reasons, but it's also such a true look back musically, with the hooks and songwriting to match, it's hard to dislike.

Album-closer "Drive-In Movies" really summed up everything for me.  A punchy, jubilant track about tiny hometowns, dreaming of being an adult, and the fantasy of what that means with the acknowledgement of reality given time.  I did a lot of dreaming at drive-in movies my Dad took me to as a kid and this song really tied a lot of that together.  Great record.



Enjoy.

Drive-In Movies
Lavender
Supernova

No comments: