Tuesday, November 19, 2013

#1 Bum

Song: #1 Bum
Artist: Luscious Jackson
Album: Magic Hour




Holy crap... Luscious Jackson are back!

After splitting in 2000 to spend time with their families and breaking from recording and touring, the Manhattan-based female trio returns with their 4th album and first in fourteen years, Magic Hour.
I really loved their last, '99s Electric Honey, and it was a bummer that they called it quits after such a great record.

Magic Hour finds the girls back with their guitar-driven alternative hip hop sound... it's like the 90s never ended!  It's less hooky than their previous work so initial listens made it seem a bit more laid back(i.e. boring), but after a few spins I must say I've gotten to enjoy this quite a bit.  There's a bit of maturity happening here, but overall these are the same old girls and it's great to hear their voices again.  (I admit I did not follow their solo work.)

Definitely worth a listen if you're a fan, new listeners might want to start with their Greatest Hits, but this is a good record.  I'm not sure what it is, but after going to Spotify this AM to add it to this post, (listen below) I noticed they have another new record added for this year. (?!?!?!)  I have no idea what it is but also check out Baby DJ here.



Enjoy.

#1 Bum
Show Us What You Got
Are You Ready?

No comments: