Monday, April 23, 2012

Vienna

Song: Vienna
Artist: Billy Joel
Album: The Stranger




I certainly have always considered myself a Billy Joel fan, so when my friend Felice played me "Vienna," a soaring heartfelt piano-based ballad that was so obviously amazing from first listen I wondered... how had I not heard this already?  Or more so, how is this not considered an all-out classic?

Well, it's because it is on his magnum opus, 1977's "The Stranger," his fifth and breakthrough album that included not one, but four top career hits and classic rock station staples "Only the Good Die Young," "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)," "Just the Way You Are," and "She's Always a Woman."  Not to mention the title track and the epic, seven-plus minute "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant."  How could a track like "Vienna" survive, despite its amazingness, surrounded by all of this mind-blowing singer-songwriting examples?

Well, anyone who owns "The Stranger," should know the beauty of "Vienna," but those who have managed to get by with Mr. Joel's ample singles and greatest hits compilations as I have, here's a little gem you might have missed.

Enjoy.

Vienna
Get it Right the First Time
Everybody Has a Dream

No comments: