Thursday, November 03, 2011

Goodbye Horses

Song: Goodbye Horses
Artist: Kele
Album: The Hunter EP






I was pretty upset when I read that Bloc Party split as just after just three solid albums, it seemed like there was much more for them to do... and I believed they still had their masterpiece left to make. (they were destined to surpass "Silent Alarm" in my opinion.)  But the solo career of lead singer Kele Okereke has ben a nice diversion.  It's obvious that the man wanted to explore dance music more than his band, and while his debut solo album "The Boxer" was very good... it didn't reach the heights or consistency of his work with Bloc Party.  I do think he has it in him... possibly his second record.

In the meantime, we are treated to a companion EP to his solo album, "The Boxer," entitled "The Hunter," which contains a bunch of great emotional dance music.  I think he's really starting to find his groove here... as tossed-off as this EP seems, it's really rather good.  Oddly, the first single from the release, "What Did I Do?" featuring Lucy Taylor as guest, and prominent vocalist, is my least favorite.  For me it's missing too much Kele (I really adore his voice) and has too much dubstep in it.  (I'm not a fan.)  But following tracks "Release Me" and "Devotion" are pretty divine, and again point to a very exciting future.

AND THEN... the man does something over-the-cool brilliant... covering one of my favorite, creep-tastic songs, Q Lazzarus' "Goodbye Horses."  He makes the song a bit more dancy, which I don't mind at all. It looses a bit of its creepiness, but turns the song into something else.  (If you're not familiar with the song go here right now. )  Really good.

I really recommend this EP for fans of Bloc Party and Kele.  "Goodbye Horses" will be good to play at parties.  Also, don't miss the amazing Fred Falke remix of Kele's single "Everything you Wanted" from "The Boxer."  One of my favorites from last year.

Goodbye Horses
What Did I Do?
Release Me

No comments: