Monday, July 25, 2011

Home

Song: Home
Artist: Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Album: Up From Below






My friend and reader Chris came to the city several weeks back, we had dinner, and like we tend to do... talked music for hours and hours.  We have very similar tastes and similar passion for music so when he has a recommendation for me, I always make sure to pay attention.  We talked, as usual, about a lot of dance-pop from the past and present, and yet our convo turned to this song which I was unfamiliar, "Home" by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros.  It reminded him of The White Stripes song "It's True That We Love One Another," which I completely heard once listening.  I really enjoyed it, and was surprised that I had never heard of it or the band since it was released in 2009.

Two weeks ago I met a friend from Sydney for the first time whom I've known for three years, and he invited me to a great little restaurant in Brooklyn called Roman's (amazing food) where one of the chef's was a friend of his ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriend... whom I also met.  Anyhow, great food, laughs, etc. etc. but I was reminded once again of this quirky little song as they played it twice while I was dining.  It was a very nice and unexpected evening and like I seem to do... this song is now officially stamped to that moment in time for me.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes are an American band fronted by Ima Robot singer Alex Ebert. They formed in 2007 and released their only full-length album, "Up From Below" in July of 2009.  "Home" is a country-ish call-and-response type song that grabs you immediately with its uniqueness (despite it's similarity to the White Stripes track) and has a road movie cinematic quality to it.  It was no surprise to me that it's been used in a couple movies, TV shows, and even an internet viral video.  From the whistling to the old time style juxtaposed with some off kilter lyrics... it's a real winner.

I only recently got the entire album, which reminded me of a more Americana-influenced I'm From Barcelona with it's male and female vocals and jangly roots-rock sound.  I really liked the track "Janglia" as well... which was a bit familiar to me though I have no idea when I heard it.  It's an interesting, experimental record, that has many charms... though "Home" shines the brightest by far.

"Edward Sharpe" is a fictional messianic character created by Ebert after he went through a twelve-step program for addiction.

Enjoy.

Home

Janglia

Desert Song

No comments: