Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Only Girl (In the World)

Song: Only Girl (In the World)
Artist: Ellie Goulding
Album: Only Girl (In the World)





Ellie Goulding was the next big thing in the U.K. last year, and yet her debut album "Lights," (which was re-released as "Bright Lights") never really took off here in the States, even with an added cover of Elton John's "Your Song" as the lead single.  I couldn't get into the album, which was a surprise as the folk meets electronic vibe is usually right up my ally.

Despite all of that, I have been playing Goulding's cover of Rihanna's "Only Girl (In the World)" quite a bit, which she did late last year on the Radio 1's famous Live Lounge show.  She transforms the dance hit into a pleading acoustic guitar/piano/strings ballad, and like many slowed-down "re-imagined" takes on an upbeat pop song, really highlights just how great a song the original is.

But even the Rihanna version has certainly remained strong with airplay.  I keep hearing this song whenever I'm out, despite being three singles ago for the singer.  I must admit that I liked this song when it came out and yet didn't feel it had the punch of an "Umbrella."  And yet this seemingly silly dance-pop song has some true emotional weight, and I suppose just as I was realizing that... Goulding came along with this pretty cover.  Very very nice.

It's obviously making a bit of impact here and was released as an iTunes single.  Not sure if this is the thing that is going to bring her to the front of the pack, but she's already got a sophomore album being readied for this year... so we'll wait and see.  I gave "Lights" another listen and it is quite lovely. (and much more electronic than folk from what I remember.)  If that's your thing, and you missed Ellie the first time, take another listen.

Enjoy.

Only Girl (In the World) - Radio 1 Live Lounge


Guns & Horses


Your Song

No comments: