Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Freak the Freak Out

Song: Freak the Freak Out
Artist: Victoria Justice
Album: Freak the Freak Out (single)






Okay... anyone that knows me personally will find this one a little funny...

There's a good chance you've never heard of Victoria Justice.  She's the current teen star of the hit Nickelodeon show "Victorious."  Though in true Nick fashion, she has starred in or made guest appearances on many of the channel's shows.  First on the Jamie Lynn Spears show "Zoey 101," and then made-for-Nick movies including "Spectacular," (a musical) and "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf."

"Victorious" was created by actor (Head of the Class) turned creator producer Dan Schneider, who has been involved with many of Nick's live action shows, with "Zoey 101," "Drake & Josh," and their biggest live action hit "iCarly."  Like "iCarly," "Victorious" is a teen comedy that uses a lot of slapstick and is character driven.  The show revolves around a group of kids at a performance arts high school.

So why am I talking about a kids show?

Well... "Victorious" had their first "movie" (an hour long episode) back in November entitled "Freak the Freak Out" which highlighted the song of the same title at the end performed by Victoria.  I happened to be with my four-year-old nephew when the show debuted and heard him singing the song for days after.  For the holidays, a bought the song and put it on a CD for him and have heard from my brother-in-law that the nephew and a friend repeatedly reenact the end of the episode where the song is sung, and sing their little hearts out to it.  Very cute.

So again... why am I talking about this song on my music blog?  Well I've been listening to it since and... I kind of love it.  (blush)  Now I'm no stranger to pop music... but have pretty successfully drawn the line at tween pop of the Jonas/Miley/Disney variety and also haven't gotten into the pop songs of Bieber or iCarly star Miranda Cosgrove.  It's just not music made for a man in his 30's.  I don't hate it... I just don't really care... it's not made for me.  But "Freak the Freak Out," has been put into my rotation as of late and think the song is actually very fun in the pop-rock vein of Pink and Kelly Clarkson.  Actually, aside from lyrically being a little juvenile, I could hear Kelly doing this song.  She'd need a bit more edge, but the song has a "Since You've Been My Life Would Suck I don't Hook Up" vibe.

And the MORE I listen to it I realize how impeccably produced it is.  The light electronic beats sound a little "Empire of the Sun," the guitar work is light but effective... it's modern pop that's about ten times more melodic/catchy than anything on the last Aguilera record.  Fun.  The song was written by Michael Corcoran, Chris Abraham, Nick Hexum, Zack Hexum, and creator Dan Schneider.

I may lose some cool points (or readers) with this entry, but the four-year-old nephew, who's favorite songs include "Poker Face" and "Telephone," is his own little taste-maker.  And that's good enough for me.

Enjoy.

Freak the Freak Out

No comments: