Monday, September 20, 2010

History of Modern (Part I)

Song: History of Modern (Part I)
Artist: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Album: History of Modern







Best known for their 1986 mega-hit "If You Leave," also included on the soundtrack to the John Hughes film "Pretty in Pink," Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark" (or O.M.D.) are releasing their eleventh studio album today and their first since 1996's "Universal."  But more of note, the current lineup for album 11 - "History of Modern" is the original four-man lineup who haven't worked together since 1986's "The Pacific Age."

First single "If You Want It" might try a bit too hard to re-create the "If You Leave" magic, but third and title track, "History of Modern (Part I)" has an upbeat throwback charm to it that I connected to right away.  It is of course followed by "Part II," which slows things down in a very 80's synthpop way, until the chorus explodes with a soaring melody.  Actually, I've noted how much new indie-eletronica has been biting the 80's, so it's actually refreshing to hear some ACTUAL 80's heavy-hitters write a batch of new tracks in that style.

Not all of "History of Modern" is gold, but it certainly isn't embarrassing in any way.  If you're an old fan I highly recommend you check it out... it's worth a listen.

Enjoy.

History of Modern (Part I)


If You Want It


If You Leave

No comments: