Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Relator


Song: Relator
Artist: Scarlett Johansson & Pete Yorn
Album: Break Up




How would I describe Scarlett Johansson's first album, "Anywhere I Lay My Head" consisting of Tom Wait's covers and one original? Ummm... I guess if I was being nice I'd say "interesting" ut ultimately I'd have to say just sort of awful. So it comes at a surprise that she has a new record coming out so soon, and that it's entirely comprised of duets with Pete Yorn. (?!) But the REAL shocker is that the first single, "Relator" is really kind of good.

I' interested in this. I LOVED Pete's first album, liked his second, and thought he'd just written every good song already by the time his clunker of a third album came around. But this is pretty interesting regardless... and only one of THREE albums the man has in the works.

Break Up is the forthcoming collaborative album between Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson. The first single, Relator was released as a digital download on 25 May 2009. The full album will be released by Atco/Rhino on 8 September 2009.

Production

The album was recorded in 2006, thus precedes several albums that Yorn and Johansson have released as solo artists. Johansson completed her vocals for the project in two afternoon sessions.

Yorn said that the concept for the album was realised in a dream he had. The project was inspired by Serge Gainsbourg's 1967 and 1968 albums with Brigitte Bardot.

Johansson spoke about the project recently; "The idea of two people vocalizing their relationship through duets...I always thought of it as just a small project between friends. It perfectly captured where I was in my life at the time,"

Track list

All songs written and composed by Pete Yorn, except where noted.

# Title Length
1. "Relator" 2:33
2. "Wear and Tear"
3. "I Don't Know What To Do"
4. "Search Your Heart"
5. "Blackie's Dead"
6. "I Am The Cosmos" (Chris Bell)
7. "Shampoo"
8. "Clean"
9. "Someday"

Pete Yorn Recent and Upcoming Releases

In 2008, Pete Yorn recorded and released a new song, entitled "American Blues Vol. 1." A music video was shot for the single, and the song itself was released for free on Yorn's official website for a short period of time. Concerning the song, Yorn has said "I wrote American Blues Vol. 1. on the 4th of July after reading the morning paper. It's unlike any song I've ever written. I was moved by how much negativity I was reading about and how even groups were boycotting Independence Day because they were so disgusted with the state of our Nation. I was hoping things would improve...they obviously haven't yet...but I know they will in time."

According to several sources, Yorn has been writing and recording a respectable amount of new material to be released in 2009; namely two new records. The producers are Mike Mogis (Bright Eyes) and Frank Black (from the Pixies). Two new songs have been released for download on various fan pages that are expected to be included on the new albums; "Sans Fear" and "Shotgun," respectively.

Yorn will be appearing on Canadian artist Matthew Good's upcoming album Vancouver performing backing vocals. The album is to be released October 2009.

Pete has announced that his Mike Mogis-produced album, entitled Back and Fourth, will be released through Columbia Records on June 23rd, 2009.

"Can't Hear Anyone," a song that Yorn wrote during the Nightcrawler sessions, was recently used for a Mercedes-Benz commercial and was released as a digital single on March 31, 2009.

Yorn is currently touring with Coldplay as an opening act through summer 2009.

Yorn recently collaborated with actress/musician Scarlett Johansson to record a project entitled "The Break Up Album." The album will be released on September 8, 2009, and its first single, "Relator," will be digitally released on May 26, 2009.

Enjoy.

Shotgun (From "Back & Forth")


Shampoo (From "Break Up")

No comments: