Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Make My Day


Song: Make My Day
Artist: Common
Album: Universal Mind Control




Since I was discussing the better hip-hop records of the year, I have to highlight a release by one of the most important figures in the genre today. Chicago’s Common has been at the forefront of the socially conscious rap movement for years. He, along with the likes of Mos Def and Talib Kweli, have been spouting rhymes on issues within the African-American community versus say… “Can I Buy You a Drank.” (ugh) But in my humble opinion, there forward thinking lyrics are often lost in unremarkable beats. Is it a song, or is it just an essay?

I have liked Common’s last to albums, which mix his standard mindful lyrics with a more jazzy style, but again… the words got in the way. But with the release of “Universal Mind Control,” Common has teamed mostly with the Neptunes to add a catchy beat behind his smarty-pants lyrics. To be honest, he’s eased up a little and is having some fun here, which is garnering him some mixed reviews. I don’t know… I’m digging it.

Check out “Make My Day” with Cee-Lo of Gnarles Barkley, as well as single “Universal Mind Control,” and the club banger “What a World” with Chester French.

Enjoy.

Universal Mind Control

No comments: