Thursday, August 07, 2008

My People


Song: My People
Artist: The Presets
Album: Apocalypso




I was a fan of The Presets 2005 album “Beams,” a mix of hard hitting electronica that had a vaguely gothic vibe to it. Their international hit from that record “Are You the One?” was killer, and later used in a BMW commercial. The band hails from Sydney, Australia, and released their follow up album “Apocalypso” this past April.

It’s taken me a while to get around to getting the new record and listening to it and for the most part… it’s more of the same. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing… it is what it is. I really do like lead single “My People” which is reminiscent of “Are You the One?” There have been two other subsequent singles from the record, which no doubt helped it reach the # 1 spot on the Australian Album chart.

To me, The Presets seem like the house band at some underground Eastern European sex club. It’s dark, a bit scary, but thrilling all the same. I can’t claim to be a HUGE fan… but I do dig their sound as it’s pretty distinct. And what they may lack in pop hooks that seem necessary for this type of music, they make up for it in mood. So throw this in when you’re throwing yourself your next Eastern European-themed orgy.

Enjoy.

My People

Creepy video.

This Boy’s in Love

No comments: